Halloween is a time for tricks and treats, but one Drumheller family is recovering from a traumatizing experience during the Downtown Trick or Treat event after their dog suffered an electrical shock during the event on Tuesday, October 31.
Cassy McEwan took her daughter and a friend to the trick or treat event, along with her two dogs, but could not have imagined how the evening would play out when her dog Bowie stepped into a puddle at Centre Street and 3 Avenue East on the north sidewalk near NN News.
“We were walking along the sidewalk and just passed the barricade when my dog suddenly started crying and screaming,” she says, adding Bowie dropped to the ground.
At first, Ms. McEwan thought Bowie’s costume was causing him distress or pain, and started trying to remove it. She was kneeling just outside the puddle Bowie had stepped in and at first did not realize Bowie was being shocked. It wasn’t until she tried to roll Bowie onto his side that Ms. McEwan says she “felt the current” going up her arm.
Bystander Nicole Hall stepped in quickly to help, picking up the family’s smaller dog while her husband helped to get Bowie out of the puddle.
An ATCO employee who was attending the event was recognized by a witness and an on-call technician was called in. The technician worked to stop the electrical current and “remove the electrical hazard.”
“Town Public Works staff have been working with ATCO to further investigate the area and ensure that the site is safe,” reads a statement from the Town of Drumheller. “This investigation included energization of cables and voltage checks to ensure no issues in the cable feed to the light.”
It further notes power will remain off and further work will be completed “to ensure safety when the power is turned back on.”
Bowie did suffer some burns to his paws but is expected to make a full recovery. Ms. McEwan says she is grateful for everyone from the Town and ATCO who have both reached out to her and her family since, and especially to those who stepped in to help during the incident, including the Hall family.