Dragons fired up after first win over Eagles | DrumhellerMail
Last updateFri, 17 May 2024 12pm

Dragons fired up after first win over Eagles

    With a 3-2 win in game one of the first round of playoffs against the Canmore Eagles, the Drumheller Dragons have set the tone for the rest of the series.
    Despite the Dragons victory, it was the Eagles who set the pace early in the game and had the Dragons on their heels. After 3:19, the Eagles scored the first goal of the night.
    Afterwards, the Dragons began to shake off the playoff jitters and came out with a hard-hitting game. Then, a hooking penalty by the Eagles at 8:43 gave the Dragons a break.
    Just under 20 seconds later, Ryan Aasman sent a blistering shot from the blue line through traffic and into the back of the Eagles net.
    The rest of the period was owned by the Dragons, but they couldn’t break past the solid goal-tending of Eagle Ty Swabb. The teams headed back to their dressing rooms locked in a 1-1 tie.
    In only 17 seconds after the second period began, the Dragons wasted no time gaining the lead. Captain Brennan Baxandall sent a scorching snap shot from the blue line for the Dragons second goal of the night.
    Five minutes later, a brawl ensued between Cavin Leth and Tyler Poskus of the Dragons, and Nils Moser and Simon Philp of the Eagles after Moser boarded Leth. All involved were sent to the penatly box.
    Things remained at even strength for several minutes until Baxandall and Tyler Kerner were handed roughing and tripping penalties, respectively. At 8:51, Mitchell Gartner was sent away for holding.
    The penalty box was standing room only as the  five Dragons were left to watch helplessly as their team, with a two man disadvantage, fought off the Eagles power play squad for 1:40.
    The Dragons defenders kept the Eagles at bay, blocked some key shots, and Dragons goalie Adam Beukeboom made some colossal saves to keep the Dragons ahead.
    The penalty kill fired up the Dragons. When the Eagles incurred an ineligible player penalty, the Dragons struck.
    Harrison Hendrix attempted a pass in front of the Eagles net, but the puck caught the skate of an Eagle defender and was deflected into the net for the Dragons third goal of the night.
    The Eagles weren't done yet. After a face off in the Dragons end, they snuck the puck past Beukeboom to bring the game to 3-2.
    The Dragons hung on to their lead throughout the third. In the dying minutes the Eagles began to desperately tie things up and kept the Dragons pinned in their end. With some great defence and goal-tending, the Dragons hung on for the first win of the series.
    The Dragons and Eagles met again tonight. To learn what happened, check out www.drumhellermail.com.

Christopher Rauckman delivers a meteoric slap shot.

Adam Beukeboom gave the Dragons solid goaltending all night, stopping quite a few game-changers from the Eagles.

Bryton Mills was a force to be reckoned both in the offensive and defensive zones and was instrumental in killing 1:40 of a two man disadvantage for the Dragons in the second period.

The Drumheller Mail encourages commenting on our stories but due to our harassment policy we must remove any comments that are offensive, or don’t meet the guidelines of our commenting policy.