Construction begins on vintage style Rockyford Fire hall | DrumhellerMail
02242024Sat
Last updateThu, 22 Feb 2024 3pm

Construction begins on vintage style Rockyford Fire hall

rocky-hall.jpg 

    Rockyford is just completing the engineering stage of construction on a new fire hall, which will be a throw-back to turn of the century architecture for the village’s Main Street.

    Construction will start later this fall, and the project is looking very promising, said village mayor Darcy Burke.


    “There are some pretty promising things taking place,” said Burke, while adding that the village has been communicating with businesses looking to take up house in Rockyford.


    The project will be released for tender in the next couple weeks.


    Rockyford’s existing fire hall has been outgrown, and the budgeted $800,000 project will bring six bays, and a two storey building that will aim to add some old-school charm to the picturesque Main Street of the village. It will sit beside the village office.


    “We are quite excited to see how it’ll look and add to the aesthetic of our Main Street.”


    It’s going to serve the needs of the Rockyford fire department for years.


    A half-million dollar pumper truck delivered last summer is quite large and needed a bigger home. Since partnering with the Rural Fire Associaiton, before the truck arrived, it was the first truck the town had purchased since 1972.


    The town had decided to begin to look after its own fire protection needs, because most of the equipment in the hall belonged to the RFA.


    The hall will be 60 per cent paid for by Wheatland County, the other 40 per cent being paid for by the Rockyford Rural Fire Association. The Village of Rockyford will provide some additional funding as well.


The Drumheller Mail encourages commenting on our stories but due to our harassment policy we must remove any comments that are offensive, or don’t meet the guidelines of our commenting policy.