The occupants of eight residences in Greenwood Villa Trailer Court in Drumheller were evacuated on Monday evening, May 24 while emergency crews dealt with a gas leak.
The Drumheller Fire Department, Badlands EMS, Drumheller RCMP and AltaGas crews were called to the neighbourhood shortly after 5 p.m. after receiving an emergency call.
Fire Chief Bill Bachynski said the residents of one of the homes were constructing a fence when a power auger ruptured an underground gas line.
Residents on the south end of the court who were directly affected were evacuated. Bachynski said the crews had to dig up the line and pinch it to curb the flow of gas.
He says there were no injuries, and the fire department was on scene for about an hour while the gas crew remedied the situation.
Bachynski says the incident underlines the importance of employing the services of Alberta One-Call. This is a no-charge system for those planning to disturb ground, to have the underground utilities located in advance. To have the utilities marked, a person can call 1-800-242-3447 or go to www.alberta1call.com