Motor sports resort ask Kneehill for road funding support | DrumhellerMail
05212024Tue
Last updateTue, 21 May 2024 12am

Motor sports resort ask Kneehill for road funding support

IMG 2672

At Kneehill County’s Tuesday, April 23, Council Meeting, Manager of Planning and Development, Barb Hazelton, presented Council with a Request for Decision from Badlands Recreation Development Corp. (BRDC) regarding Bylaw/Policy Badlands Motorsport Resort Area Structure Plan.

Hazelton asked Council to authorize Kneehill County’s Reeve, Ken King, to send a letter to Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors, Devin Dreeshan, to confirm funding required to build an access road from Highway 9 to the resort.

Developer, James Zelazo, has been working hard on the proposed project, that is within the approved Area Structure Plan, but has found it difficult to obtain funding for the construction of the road.

The cost of the road is estimated to be $15 million, so the Strategic Transportation Infrastructure Program (STIP) through the Local Municipal Initiatives (LMI) would be the most appropriate avenue to obtain funding of this magnitude.

Through the STIP - LMI program, 75 per cent of the cost, $11.25 million, would be funded by the province, with the remaining 25 per cent, $3.75 million, funded by the Municipality.

Zelazo has asked Council to write the letter on his behalf in order to proceed with the next steps, such as geotechnical and engineering work needed to begin the construction process of the road.

“The Municipality agrees to submit an application for this funding on behalf of Badlands (BRDC). Administration was of the opinion that a letter from the Reeve to the Minister confirming this potential funding source, as well as assurance that it will not impact the Municipality’s ability to obtain grant funding through the normal process for municipal projects,” says Hazelton.

If funds are granted, and the road is constructed, the County will own the road and will be responsible for it after it is built.


The Drumheller Mail encourages commenting on our stories but due to our harassment policy we must remove any comments that are offensive, or don’t meet the guidelines of our commenting policy.