A Gofundme campaign has been set up for a family starting from scratch after a fire destroyed their home last week.
On Monday, May 13 the home of Dean and Kayla Brett and their two children Livi, and Ethan, burned. The roof collapsed and fire also damaged a neighbouring house on 1st Street South East.
Dean says right now they don’t know if the home is salvageable. They lost many irreplaceable family items.
“We lost pretty well everything due to the water. Many things that were meaningful were in the basement. This was memorabilia from my father who passed away,” he said. “I put them in our crawl space thinking they would be safe.”
He is grateful to the firefighters who helped salvage some keepsakes.
‘The firefighters were really good, they managed while the house was on fire to get in and to grab photographs and photo albums and stuff that was meaningful to us,” he said.
On top of that Dean recently started a home renovation business he operated out of his garage. Because of the fire, he is not able to access his equipment to get back to work.
“We are starting from scratch,” he said. “I’m in a state of shock, you don’t expect these things to happen, and you are not prepared for it.”
The fire is still under investigation.
A friend of the family has set up a Gofundme campaign to help the family through this difficult time. Dean says the family is grateful for the support from the community.
“The community has come
together,” he said. “It is very much appreciated.”
Not long after the fire Drumheller residents have been offering support to the family to get them back on their feet. They have received
clothing and toy donations and food.
He says if there are people hesitant about donating to Gofundme, they can contact Dean or Jay Moody via Facebook.