The Village of Standard’s community volunteer project, Memory Lane, continues to see improvements to the kilometre-long pathway along the village’s south end.
A post and rail fence has been constructed by the Standard Community Facility Enhancement Society, and the group expects to install a total of 16 benches along the pathway.
Standard Mayor Joe Pederson, told the Mail, “The Memory Lane group has been busy over the summer, and it is looking great.”
The land where the park and walking path are located was originally donated to the village in 1923 by Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). Improvements to the area did not start until nearly a century later, in 2015, when the Standard Community Facility Enhancement Society was formed.
Since the society’s formation, the area has been transformed with landscaping and picnic areas. Paving of the pathway from Highway 840 to the south of town where the old train station stood was completed in 2019.
The history of the village is heavily tied to CPR, and an original speeder shed and a caboose, which was donated and restored by Gerald Knowlton, have also been installed.
Knowlton, a former resident who grew up in the village’s original station, was also involved via his grandson, Vancouver-based architect Spencer Purdy, in the installation of the Vanishing Station.
Although the old station was demolished, the Vanishing Station stands in its place. A series of panels depict the image of the old station, and they are arranged in such a way the station can, quite literally, vanish.
Unfortunately, some of the panels sustained damage and have been sent away for repairs.
No timeframe has been provided for when the repairs will be completed at this time, though Mayor Pederson noted the village is hopeful an update will be available in September.
The society continues to apply for government funding to further improve Memory Lane, and Mayor Pederson added the village will be working with the group on upcoming projects.