Riverside home damaged by chimney fire | DrumhellerMail
Last updateFri, 11 Jun 2021 10am

Riverside home damaged by chimney fire

IMG 7300 cropped

Drumheller Fire Chief Bruce Wade is warning homeowners with chimneys to make sure they are inspected and cleaned annually.
    This comes after a fire on Riverside Drive on Saturday night, February 1.
     Wade tells the Mail the department received the call to 511 Riverside Drive at around 8 p.m. after a passerby noted flames on the roof of the house near the chimney. They responded with its pump and rescue apparatus and about 12 firefighters.
 The fire started in the wood fireplace chimney and extended to the walls and roof, damaging the interior and exterior of the home. There was minor smoke and water damage.
    Chief Wade says the incident is a reminder to residents to have their chimney cleaned and serviced by a qualified fireplace technician. This should be done annually. He also noted it is always important to make sure your fire detectors are in good working order.
    Wade highlights another incident while fighting this fire. One of the Fire Department’s 5-inch high-pressure hose was hooked to a hydrant and spanned the nearby alley entrance. A motorist drove over the hose. These hoses are a firefighter’s lifeline and had it burst it could have damaged the vehicle, the hose and put the firefighters at risk.

The Drumheller Mail encourages commenting on our stories but due to our harassment policy we must remove any comments that are offensive, or don’t meet the guidelines of our commenting policy.

Who would you pick if you were able to choose Canada's next new Governor General?